6 reasons why your hair is dry
Dry, frizzy hair does not necessarily coincide with over-processing and excessive use of heat-styling tools such as hair dryers and straighteners. You may be surprised to discover that there are a multitude of causes for dry hair, and that each carries a solution.
- As within, so without. Dry hair is often a sign of nutritional deficiencies. Make sure your diet is rich in nutrients that promote healthy hair. These include omega-3 fatty acids found in salmon and sardines, iron found in high-quality proteins, and biotin--a B vitamin found in eggs and avocados, to name just a few of its sources.
- The world at large. We live in a world of sun, wind, chemicals and pollutants that can turn luscious locks into dry, brittle strands in an instant. Protect and nurture your hair with a deep conditioning oil treatment once a week. Coconut oil and castor oil are both good choices in the war against the elements.
- Your pillowcase. What? It's true. Cotton has a tendency to pull moisture from both your skin and your hair. Consider a satin pillowcase or a satin-lined cap called a SLAP. Not only will your hair retain its moisture, you will find it detangled and kink-free upon awakening.
- Not all shampoos are created equal. Many shampoos contain harsh chemicals that dry your hair out over time. Consider alternatives such as a combination of calendula and avocado oil or one of the many natural shampoos on the market that do not contain sodium lauryl sulfate. And shampoo less.
- Stress. Stress causes the body to produce cortisol, a hormone that can, among other not so good things, lead to dry hair and skin. Stress comes from an over-active mind that tends to drift to the past or the future. Practice mindfulness techniques that bring your awareness to the present.
- Dehydration. Your body is made up of approximately 60 percent water. It is vital to our survival, but often goes overlooked until dry skin and hair remind us of our bodies need for water. Pay attention, drink when thirsty, and try to reach for that pure, crystal clear water more often than that soda.
You can have beautiful smooth and silky hair that you're happy to call your own. Click here to learn more.